- The acoustic Deanna gets to the No carpet on the floor/and the winding cloth holds many moths/around your ku klux furniture/I cum a deaths-head in your frock part before going into the gospel Oh Happy Day showing where he got the idea for the song and while not exactly ending on a positive note unless ejaculating ominous moths is a good thing, at least there's no murderous rampage! Oh happy day!
- Roy Orbison's Running Scared is one of the best songs ever. Nick Cave's version is SO b-side/rare.
- I always like Cave doing Black Betty
- I like when Mick Harvey gets credited with guitars and Blixa with feedback guitars
- Another x song?! Weeping songs, ship songs, now TRAIN songs. Straightforwardly sentimental, train as a metaphor for escape or missed opportunities universalizes his narrative
- Someone bought me The Bridge: A Tribute to Neil Young for my birthday a few years ago and I still think it's a special record and Cave's Helpless and Pixies' Winterlong are pretty heartbreaking as is. Helpless is on here, not Winterlong 'cause that'd be weird
- (I'll Love You) Till the End of the World from Wim Wenders' 'ultimate' road movie Until The End Of The World sounds like Tom Waits set to ridic Nature&Organisation cornballishness
- Leonard Cohen done noise-Elvis is always fun compared to 80s Cohen groan-core originals
- The What A Wonderful World duet with Shane MacGowan is the sole justification for this b-sides & rarities collection. Fuck your dorky collector impulses!
- Straight after that is a cover of Rainy Night in Soho from The Pogues' Poguetry in Motion. I prefer MacGowan's haggard original. Weird 'cause I usually dig MacGowan more as a poet and Cave more as a singer!
- 3 O'Malley's Bars
- Where the Wild Roses Grow with Blixa instead of Kylie!
- 3 Discs!
- I was lying about collector impulses and What A Wonderful World being the only reason to get this. The video is much more fun
- How to assess something like this
- Are the versions on here better or worse than the ones we already have?
- What are we meant to do with three discs worth of b-sides and rarities?
- Collect them, I guess
- try 1 / 2 / 3
Aug 14, 2012
B-Sides & Rarities (2005)
Posted by max